Tuesday, May 18, 2010

PETER MURPHY / cascade



I have been a Peter Murphy fan for a long time and have always considered him to be my favorite artist of all time. "Deep" was at the top of my list till I acquired "Cascade". It further solidified why I enjoy this man's music so much. The CD opens with two of strongest tracks in "Mirror to my woman's mind" and the infectious "Subway". "I fall with your knife" may be Peter Murphy's best song to date as it stirs your insides with his strong vocals. The CD closes with the hauntingly powerful "Cascade" which whisks you away to another place. I am in total agreement with a previous reviewer...play it loud!! If your new to Peter Murphy, get Cascade. You won't be sorry.

Cascade is an album of mostly mid-tempo ballads. Mirror To My Woman's Mind and Subway are pleasant enough but they don't really stick in the mind. Gliding Like A Whale has a stronger melody and evocative synthesizer where the vocals take interesting twists and turns to lift the track above the average.

The chugging beat and prominent guitar of Disappearing gives this song more of a rock feel, while Mercy Rain is a mellow ballad and I'll Fall With Your Knife is a meandering number with atmospheric instrumentation. The tempo picks up for The Scarlet Thing In You, a passionate love song with great imagery that almost, but not quite merits a place amongst his great songs.

Wild Birds Flock To Me has a complex arrangement and interesting tempo changes, but Huuvola is the real gem of this album. At last his divine voice gets to shine on a great melody line and a delicious blend of instruments for an eerie, transcendent feel. The title track has a spoken vocal introduction and a weird instrumental mix to make it quite an experimental and unusual arrangement

I am a great fan of Murphy's but Cascade doesn't leave a strong impression. The problem might be the absence of memorable tunes and catchy hooks. With the exception of Huuvola, none of the tracks here match his greatest songs like Indigo Eyes, Canvas Beauty or Time Has Nothing To Do With It.




Cascade

Bit rate: wma

LINK: cascade


1. Mirror To My Woman's Mind

2. Subway

3. Gliding Like A Whale

4. Disappearing

5. Mercy Rain

6. I'll Fall With Your Knife

7. The Scarlet Thing In You

8. Sails Wave Goodbye

9. Wild Birds Flock To Me

10. Huuvola

11. Cascade


.

No comments: